Mixed Media with Niji Artist Crayons & Sumi Ink
Try mixing it up with crayons and sumi inks to create layered mixed media pieces! In this livestream recording artist Karen Elaine covers crayon rubbings, watercolor resist, sgraffito, ink color mixing, painting on washi, and creating your own custom chop (signature Hanko stamp).
This video was originally livestreamed on the Yasutomo Facebook page on Friday, 10/13/23.
For an easy, shoppable overview of the items used in this demo, visit our Mixed Media with Niji Artist Crayons & Sumi Ink collection HERE.
Listed roughly in order of appearance in the video:
- Niji Artist Crayons
- Hosho Paper Pad (6H)
- Mineral Paper 240 gsm pad, 11" x 14" (JMP400G)
- Vermilion sumi ink (KV2 - not available yet, coming very soon!)
- Black sumi ink (KY12 is the 12 oz bottle Karen used)
- Round white porcelain dish (WCW210)
- Hake brush (BFC1)
- Waterproof drawing ink (Karen is using the Higgins brand India Ink)
- Palette knife for scratching
- Judikins MicroGlaze wax (to seal and finish the piece)
- Hosho Paper (6H)
- Vermilion Ink (KV2 - coming soon!)
- All Purpose Brush size 00 (SW00)
- Combo bamboo pen and brush (TP235)
- Small Gansai Set (WC211)
- Japanese rubber block for hand carving stamp (Karen got hers on Amazon) or a vinyl eraser
- Pencil and paper (to draw your design)
- X-acto knife (to carve your design out of the block)
- Ranger carnation red ink stamp pad