Shikishi Board Art: Etegami, Collage & Beyond!
Shikishi boards are made of Washi paper mounted onto a hard backing, edged with gold foil. In Japan they are typically used for sumi-e, watercolor, poetry written in calligraphy, and collecting autographs. But the creative possibilities with Shikishi Boards are endless!
In this demo, artist Karen Elaine demonstrates a variety of traditional and non-traditional ways you can use Shikishi Boards in your own art!
For a shoppable overview of the items Karen used, visit our Shikishi Board Art: Etegami, Collage & Beyond! collection HERE.
- Japanese Shikishi Boards, 3" x 3" Gasen, 5 pieces (HY310)
- Japanese Shikishi Boards, 5" x 7" Gasen, Hosho, Torinoko, 3 pieces (HY300)
- Traditional Japanese Watercolors, 12 color set (WC211)
- Wa Fude brushes (WF series)
- All Purpose brushes (SW series)
- Single porcelain dish (WCW210)
- Black Bokuju ink (KY12)
- Mineral Paper (JMP series)
- Gasen paper (for the etegami examples painted on paper) (6G)
- Nori Paste (NP55)
Karen also mentioned talented etegami artists, Kitty Maer and Debbie Davidson:
- Kitty Maer's Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/kitty.maer/
- Debbie Davidson's Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/dosankodebbie/
Find Karen online:
- Instagram: instagram.com/karenelainecreative/
- YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/karenelaines
- More: https://linktr.ee/karenelaineaz
You can also follow us on Instagram, Facebook, and YouTube to get updates on all of our new and upcoming livestream events. We'll have more projects and tutorials, tips and tricks demos, and even guest artists to talk about their work and process. We can't wait to see you there!